Thursday 11 August 2011

MG Various

MG

Lots of swimming and very poor blogging from MG, especially in the face of such impressive feats from JJ and SW. First some generic local swimming - I have done a lot of early morning swimming at home this year, and though it doesn't beat an evening swim for me, with the golden light on the cliffs (see below), you do tend to see a snapshot of life with the regular swimmers at Burton Bradstock forming a cosy club. And the glory of going home to a huge breakfast takes some beating.


An almost spirtual day on Dartmoor on 22nd July, with dips at Salmon Leaps and then fortified by Millionaire's Shortbread, at the pool at Belstone which I think is probably my all time favourite swimming spot. I can swim the length underwater in five strokes, but it's always peaceful and however I'm feeling, I come away calmer. No pictures of the pool sadly, but the summer view of the back of my car is good for a laugh...


At Camp Bestival 29th July,  HL (star of the Hampstead Ponds) and I slip off from the chaos and panic of the festival scene for an early morning dip at Worbarrow Bay, wandering thorugh the deserted village of Tyneham to a bay so still and smooth it's like an ice rink. Only us and a few boats. HL front crawls into the distance, while I lounge on my back, suspended above twenty feet of water crystal clear to the bottom.


Followed by a late night swim at Durdle Door before rushing back to catch Blondie. Wet hair, discombobulated and salty, I feel adrift in the crowd of revellers after the peace of the sea.




More West Bay on a stormy day....



Then most recenetly, a little jaunt with ECP where again we have managed to book a hotel in Falmouth almost within diving distance of our hotel windows (see Criccieth, March). I go to sleep knowing a dawn swim is in the offing and make the plunge while ECP showers.

(view from our room)

There are a few serious swimmers out and I plunge joyfully in to join them, again the water wonderfully calm and clear. I do my best mermaid impression in the hope of seeing Brad Pitt who I know is filming offshore, in an ex-navy vessel decked out with snow and icicles, so my winter swimming qualifications would enable me to fit right in. No sightings sadly.

I attempt a swim at Roseland-St-Just on the way home, a beautiful quiet spot below the church here, surrounded by palm trees and gravestones, but am put off by the low tide and muddy estuary. Next time.


And tomorrow, off to Wales where AT and I hope to grab a few swims whilst working at Brecon Jazz festival....

2 comments:

  1. Detective Cutter Swims Again.
    Cutter entered the sweet flowing waters, grappling for the clothing she had seen snagged in the weeds on the river bottom. Her heart beat faster as she realised what it was........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Chris here from www.simplyswim.com the online retailer. I’m looking for swimmers to test out our new site so I can gather feedback on products, site usability and customer service. I really like your blog and was wondering if you wanted to review us?

    Drop me an email if your interested so we can discuss further.

    Chris – Simply Swim

    http://www.simplyswim.com/

    ReplyDelete