Saturday 23 July 2011

Little Ouse, Santon Downham, 13.30


Lovely golden peaty water flowing through Thetford forest, satisfyingly deep I slither down the muddy bank avoiding the nettles almost successfully...and discover that the river is not so much Ousing along more galloping and as soon as I lift my feet up it carrys me off down stream untill I edge out of the middle of the river. As I am swimming on the spot against the current ( which does look slightly ridiculous) a couple lean over the edge of the bridge and I hear "Oh look there a girl swimming"in the same way you might exclaim over some kind of exotic duck. I'd forgotten how soft river water is after months of the sea and although not really cold by our standards I start to get that numb burning feeling on my arms which reminds me of the sea back in march. Its nice to know that the murky silty water in the great Ouse I cross everyday making it's way out into the Wash doesn't actually start out that way.
J.J.

No comments:

Post a Comment